D. L. Garland Wed 18:09
dong fang Mon 01:55
Forums
Moderators: gpthelastrebel, Patrick
Author Post
Lady Val
Mon Mar 16 2009, 10:53PM
Registered Member #75
Sorry I missed Mosby's greatest - or at least most famous achievement, the capture of Brigadier General Edwin Stoughton from his bed in Fairfax. However, this small news item mentions the General's arrival - together with other captives - in Richmond. As noted, Mosby's name was spelled wrong. No wonder he wrote it in charcoal on the wall of Stoughton's bedroom. Didn't much help however. They continued to spell his name wrong all through the war and for years afterward. Annoyed the hell out of the little fellow.

Janesville (WI) Weekly Gazette And Free Press – March 20th, 1863
New York, March 17
Richmond papers of the 13th announce the arrival of captured Gen. Stoughton and others. They were taken by Capt. Mosely of Fitzhugh Lee’s command.

gpthelastrebel
Tue Mar 17 2009, 12:47PM

Registered Member #1
"Annoyed the hell out of the little fellow"

I think I would have made extra effort to get his name spelled right. I had rather misspell Lee than Mosby!! LOL LOL LOL

GP
Lady Val
Tue Mar 17 2009, 09:30PM
Registered Member #75
He wrote a letter to his wife after the Fairfax raid complaining that they still spelled his name MosEby. The also spelled it Mosely. I recently acquired a contemporary copy of a photo of Mosby as a major (rather famous). I know it's old because it had to be put in an acrylic "sandwich" frame or it would have disintegrated. On the bottom of the small photo are the words "J. S. Mosley". I'm sure he would have had a hissy-fit about that!

In fact, "keywording" Mosby to search through newspaper and other texts of the period require at least four go rounds: Mosby, Moseby Mosley and Mosely (and sometimes even Moseley). It's a hoot!

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF