Registered Member #1
Regarding the Auburn flag issue.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/AuburnConfederateFlag/

GP

[ Edited Sat May 30 2009, 02:58PM ]
Lady Val
Sat May 30 2009, 07:33PM
Registered Member #75
I signed it, but alas it will do no good. According to Alabama law, as Dowdell's crimes were misdemeanors and not witnessed by a police officer, charges must be brought against him by the victims (ladies of the UDC) or the State or county can do nothing. Sadly, the UDC doesn't live up to the courage of the ladies who founded that organization. They're too busy being "tolerant".
gpthelastrebel
Sun May 31 2009, 01:14AM

Registered Member #1
maybe they will see the number of signatures and not regulate the flag to one day per year.

GP
Lady Val
Sun May 31 2009, 10:06AM
Registered Member #75
Well, they all learned that they are being watched and their actions have consequences. Dowdell expected to be treated as a hero by "his people" and given a pass by the whites. That didn't happen. Believe me, it didn't. I was on the threads (four of them at least) and though he had two or three defenders - including one who tried to get rid of me by giving my name, address and everything else (foolish person!) - the rest were very much condemnatory.

So the Mayor and the Council will be careful indeed before they entertain any motion from the idiot about limiting the flag in a private cemetery. Now, how long that will last really depends upon how committed folks are to protecting and defending their First Amendment rights.
8milereb
Sun May 31 2009, 03:08PM

Registered Member #2

Yes this backfired big time on Councilman Dowdell indeed, which in itself is his just reward. However there is no reason folks should not bombard the UDC with letters and emails, as the ball is in their court.
8milereb
Sun May 31 2009, 03:25PM

Registered Member #2
Auburn councilman apologizes to UDC for pulling up rebel flags from graves
By Associated Press
5:16 PM CDT, May 26, 2009

AUBURN, Ala. (AP) — An Auburn city councilman has apologized for pulling up small Confederate flgas from four graves, but he said he still doesn't "feel bad" about what he did.

Arthur Dowdell, who is black, read a statement at Tuesday night's council meeting apologizing for what he said was a misunderstanding about the flags that had been placed in honor of Confederate Memorial Day.

The apology was made to members of the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

The city council passed a resolution at the start of the meeting denouncing his actions at Pine Hill Cemetery and urging him to make a public apology.

His initial defense was he thought the KKK had placed the flags and was unaware it was Confederate Memorial Day...yeah right!
Lady Val
Sun May 31 2009, 06:38PM
Registered Member #75
Dowdell's apology was no such thing. He merely said something to the effect that he didn't mean to frighten the ladies there. He certainly didn't apologize for disrespecting the flag! Believe me, I was involved with this whole thing for weeks! Dowdell got a "pass" from the City authorities but he would have gotten a much greater "pass" if a lot of folks - myself included - had not hammered home his anti-First Amendment and bigoted actions.

However, he hasn't gone away so we can expect to hear from this jackbooted thug again in the near future.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF