D. L. Garland Wed 18:09
dong fang Mon 01:55
Forums
Moderators: gpthelastrebel, Patrick
Author Post
gpthelastrebel
Fri Dec 18 2009, 05:29PM

Registered Member #1
Some time ago I was in contact with a Mr. Wells in Great Britain regarding the restoration of Irvine Bullock's grave. This is an email and photo he sent me. I should point out at this time I have not been able to prove any kinship to Irvine Bullock, other than the fact I am kin to a large amount of Bullocks in the United States. Attached is a photo of the restoration.
GP

George:

Having been going to the British Isles as the wife is Scottish, I had met Bob Jones, Neville Wantling, Roy Rawlinson and the Commander of the SCV Camp that was just formed in England, I viewed the Bulloch brothers gave sites and found them in need of restoration as Bob had pointed out.

Bob Jones has spearheaded the restoration and raised a few funds but not certainly what was needed to complete the project.

I tried here in the States to our Organization and other Heritage groups for financial assistance for these “American” servicemen who served the Confederacy and knowing James Bulloch’s effort in axquiring the Alkabama and other ships nearly won the War for the South., but there was no interest in this.

He had a newspaper reporter who did an article I understand on the site and one thing led to another and Bob was instrumental in that the Liverpool City Council funded the restoration in full of Irvine’s site.

Bob is now working with the UDC in Georgia to get a Cross of Honor shipped to him for Irvine’s site.

You can be proud of your relatives as James Bulloch got the CSS Alabama built in Liverpool and you know this Vessel took 69 Union ships in her short life span,

Irvine served aboard the Alabama and our Camp is named in honor of another Alabama officer John Low.

Thanks

J. Wells

gpthelastrebel
Wed Jan 06 2010, 07:55PM

Registered Member #1
Posted 8 more images to Irvine S. Bullock image gallery.

The grave is located in Toxteth Park in Liverpool, England.

GP
Dixieroy
Fri Jan 29 2010, 05:35PM
Registered Member #133
There were no children from the marriage of Irvine Stevens Bulloch to Ella Sears.
James Dunwoody Bulloch had five children, Henry died of scarlet fever as a child aged 10.
James D Junior died in the USA aged 30, a bachelor.
Jessie Hart Bulloch married Robert Hyslop Maxwell, and died in 1941, childless.
Martha Louise Bulloch remained a spinster until her death in Liverpool in 1947.

Stuart Elliot Bulloch emigrated to Australia, married, and had one son, who is still alive. That man`s children, whom I am in contact with, are James Dunwoody Bulloch`s Great Grand Children.

Added a few minutes later....
It took me a long while to come across any Bulloch descendants, indeed, they contacted me in 1008.
Hopefully, you are also a descendant, from the enlarged family Bulloch.

[ Edited Sat Jan 30 2010, 11:10AM ]
Dixieroy
Sat Jan 30 2010, 11:03AM
Registered Member #133
One of my photos from this day, showing the floral tributes.
The circular wreath is from the UDC, and the anchor from the SCV.

[ Edited Sat Jan 30 2010, 11:11AM ]
randy ritchie
Sat Jan 30 2010, 02:56PM
Registered Member #3
what? no pics of you?

randy
Dixieroy
Sat Jan 30 2010, 03:13PM
Registered Member #133
I had been asked to participate, as the originator of the initial grave marking for the bulloch Bros. I declined to give others a chance, but the American ex-Navy man who was due to lay the uDC wreath was called away unexpectedly. I stepped in to lay the wreath, but my main function was to take photos for my site.
I do have a pic of me from the 2001 event, I will post that when I have the chance.

Edited to add this, a photo of myself, at left, with Richard Harris, G G Grandson of W C Miller, builder of the Florida. The pic was taken at a dinner, attended by 8 UDC members from the USA, Richard, myself, and some Brit re-enactors, on 6 Jan 2001.

[ Edited Sat Jan 30 2010, 03:22PM ]
gpthelastrebel
Thu Feb 11 2010, 03:29PM

Registered Member #1
Great work Roy.

I was trying to determine if these Bullock men and I have common ancestors. My Bullocks have been traced to Hugh Bullock of inEngland somewhere around 1570 or so. I wonder if this is also the anscestor of Irvine and James Bullock??? To date I have not found the answer to that question.

GP
Dixieroy
Fri Feb 12 2010, 05:52PM
Registered Member #133
Writing from memory now, as far as I can remember, they orignally hail from Scotland, but I will check this out for you.
gpthelastrebel
Sat Feb 13 2010, 09:42PM

Registered Member #1
I say England because I am not certain of a more specfic location. I have just recovered my family info and will post more in the near future.

GP
Dixieroy
Sun Feb 14 2010, 11:57AM
Registered Member #133
Yes I can understand that, we are a small island, compared to the US and all the States.
gpthelastrebel
Sun Feb 14 2010, 04:17PM

Registered Member #1
Roy,

Therse are some notes I have on my Bullock ancestor. It appears they were from London.

GP

Notes for Captain Hugh Bullock:
Hugh Bullock was a planter, merchant councilor and man of considerable importance. He was the owner of the Ship "Endeavor" in March 29, 1628 (Virginia Colonial Court Records, p.169) Hugh appears in the official records of Virginia as a member of the kings council as early as December 1631, where the records indicate he was a Burgess and Member of the Assembly for the Colony of Virginia from York County (Colonial Virginia Register, p. 32). We do know he was in England in the Spring of 1632, but was back in Virginia on February 8, 1634 for a meeting of the council. Just when he arrived in Virginia is uncertain, but he was an influential man with considerable property in England and Virginia. On March 12, 1634, at James City Virginia, Hugh was granted 2,550 acres of land on the Pocosin, "Southeast of Otter Pond," in York County ( Virginia Land Office, Patent Book 1, 1623-1643, p 158.) By deed dated July 8, 1637, and recorded in York County, Hugh Bullock, Gentleman of London England and his wife Mary conveyed to their son William, his corn mill, saw mill, and plantation in Virginia. He left a will in London dated October 22, 1649, and probated November 2, 1650.

From the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. XVIII, No.3, July 1910. Pembroke 168

Hugh Bullocke of London, Gent. All Hallows Barking 72 years of age and dim sighted. I have the half of Dungeonesse lights which I purchased from Sir Francis Howard. The half of which half I sold to Andrew Burrel which half was purchased from him by my son William Bullocke. My son married William Lamply's daughter and purchased William Bin's part in the other half and my son William at his going into Virginia let his part for 1 20 per annum during term of the patent which has 17 years to run. To Mary Bennett, now living in London, 1 4 per annum during the patent. To Ellinor, daughter of my sister Ann Mason, 3 per annum during patent. To Mary Rose, widow, living in Ratcliffe, 40s per annum. To Bernard Smith, my deputy in Custom House, 3 per annum during patent. My estate in Virginia amounting to 100 per annum left me there 10 years past to my sun William and his son Robert. Executors: John Limbry Esq. And Barnard Smith. Overseer: Master of the Trinity House for the time being. To Mary Snow, Wife of Nicholas Snow, 7s yearly; to Elizabeth her sister 7s yearly Witnesses: William Walket, James Turner, Benjamine Sheppard Scr. Proved by Samual Burrell, principal creditor.

Notes on will: All Hallows Barking is a parish in London. Also known as All Hallows Barking by the Tower, it was damaged in a fire in 1666 and rebuilt later that century. The Dungeonesse or Dungeness Lights referred to in his will are lighthouses. As best as I can determine the lights were near those of North and South Foreland in the County of Kent, but I have yet to be able to determine their exact locations. There is a reference that the income due the North and South Foreland Lights was often paid in error to the Bullocks.

Hugh made frequent trips to England from Virginia to attend to his business affairs. He was present at the meetings of the Council in 1632, 1633, and 1634. In 1637 he was one of the members the king directed should be retained, but Hugh declined due to his age and interest in England, since we know he died in England.
Dixieroy
Mon Feb 15 2010, 10:52AM
Registered Member #133
This may help

http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-682
gpthelastrebel
Mon Feb 15 2010, 03:39PM

Registered Member #1
Thanks Roy, as you have stated it appears these are two separate lines. I no longer have to wonder.

GP
Dixieroy
Mon Feb 15 2010, 04:33PM
Registered Member #133
I think that it is unfortunate that I am the bearer of bad news though.
Sorry about that.
gpthelastrebel
Mon Feb 15 2010, 05:30PM

Registered Member #1
No problem at least I know for sure now, it is better than guessing.

GP

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF