Navigation
Forums
Moderator(s): gpthelastrebel, Patrick
Author Post
gpthelastrebel
Sat Sep 22 2012, 03:49AM
gpthelastrebel
Main Admin Main Admin Registered Member #1 Joined: Tue Jul 17 2007, 02:46PM
Folks to update you on this response, it is to aturner at http://www.al.com/living/index.ssf/2012/09/no_more_confederate_flag_for_l.html#incart_river_default This tells about Lynard Sknard denouncing the CBF. Aturner made the statement near the bottom of the page the confederacy was all about slavery. I am refuting his statement with fact

GP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am not surprised that giving me a link to this website http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2...
is the best you can do. Did you even bother to check to see how accurate his facts happen to be? Did you notice he is no historian in any sense of the word?

What I am going to do is post several facts for you. No links to other websites will be provided. You can creep across the internet and verify anything you desire, from any source you like.

First the Cornerstone speech-- Recorded by a reporter in the audience while a bunch of shouting and cheering was going on. No tape recorder or paper prepared beforehand. That fact brings into question how accurate the reporter’s notes were. Also there is no known original copy of Stephen's speech in existence. What does that tell you? You should read Stephen's "What I really Said.” You may not believe his explanation, but at least he tried to explain his speech. It is more than what Lincoln did with his remark ------- I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the black and white races -- that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making VOTERS or jurors of negroes, NOR OF QUALIFYING THEM HOLD OFFICE, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality.

I can post quotes by Lincoln using the same tone if you would like.

Now as for the Confederacy being about slavery, true there was an article regarding slavery in the Confederate Constitution. There was also one in the US constitution. Slavery existed not only in the Confederacy during the war, but also in Union held territory and to loyal Union men until 1865. This was well after the Emancipation Proclamation. If the Confederacy was all about slavery, why didn’t the Southern states that had seceded, return to the United States after the Corwin amendment was passed? Corwin amendment -- No Amendment shall be made to the Constitution which will authorize or give to Congress the power to abolish or interfere, within any state, with the domestic institutions thereof, including that of persons held to labor or service by the laws of said State." --Joint Resolution of Congress, Adopted March 2, 1861

Another amendment passed by the US government the Crittenden Resolution stated --- Resolved by the House of Representatives of the Congress of the United States, That the present deplorable civil war has been forced upon the country by the disunionists of the Southern States now in revolt against the constitutional Government and in arms around the capital; that in this national emergency Congress, banishing all feelings of mere passion or resentment, will recollect only its duty to the whole country; that this war is not waged upon our part in any spirit of oppression, nor for any purpose of conquest or subjugation, nor purpose of overthrowing or interfering with the rights or established institutions of those States, but to defend and maintain the supremacy of the Constitution and to preserve the Union, with all the dignity, equality, and rights of the several States unimpaired; and that as soon as these objects are accomplished the war ought to cease.

Abe Lincoln is on record saying --- My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union.

War resolutions -- Only one Union state evens mentions slavery as an issue of the war that is Michigan. I researched these resolutions myself and got responses from the Union states archives.

The Declaration of immediate Causes are not declarations of war, they are just what tthe name states. Read the Oedinances of Secession you will see quite a bit of differences between the two documents.

Last but not least the man who actually started the war, Union Major Robert Anderson owned slaves. This is proven by a letter from Anderson to John C. Cocks. Now tell me why a Union major owning slaves would start a war to free the slaves all the while still holding his property.

Answer these statements with factual responses. I care not for your links to someone who knows so little and has a biased opinion about the Confederacy.

George Purvis
Southern Heritage Advancement preservation and Education
Edited Sat Sep 22 2012, 02:08PM
gpthelastrebel
Sun Sep 23 2012, 03:14PM
gpthelastrebel
Main Admin Main Admin Registered Member #1 Joined: Tue Jul 17 2007, 02:46PM
No responses here are al.com website. Facts usually shuts down the discussion, however facts do not change any minds. People had rather wallow in their willful ignorance than believe the truth.

Please note no Sothern heritage supporters registered to become members of this website. What is the problem ----- Scared????

GP

Edited Sun Sep 23 2012, 03:16PM

Go to: