Click To Show - Guests: 9

Last Seen

gpthelastrebel Wed 15:26
Patrick Fri 16:05
Robray Wed 14:28
D. L. Garland Wed 18:09
dong fang Mon 01:55
Forums
Southern Heritage Advancement Preservation and Education :: Forums :: General :: Articles and Article Archive

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Proclamations By Buchanan, Lincoln and Johnson
Moderators: gpthelastrebel, 8milereb, Patrick
Author Post
gpthelastrebel
Mon Aug 10 2015, 12:16PM

Registered Member #1
Buchanan Bound to Collect Revenue

Edited for length
War of the Rebellion: Serial 001 Page 0117 Chapter I. CORRESPONDENCE, ETC. – UNION.

These were the last instructions transmitted to Major Anderson before his removal to Fort Sumter, with a single exception, in regard to a particular which does not in any degree affect the present question. Under these circumstances it is clear that Major Anderson acted upon his own responsibility, and without authority, unless, indeed, he had “tangible

Page 118

evidence of a design to proceed to a hostile act” on the part of the authorities of South Carolina, which as not yet been alleged. Still, he is a brave and honorable officer, and justice requires that he should not be condemned without a fair hearing.

————–On the very day, the 27th instant, that possession of these two forts was taken the palmetto flag was raised over the Federal custom-house and post-office in Charleston; and on the same day every officer of the customs, collector, naval officer, surveyor, and appraisers, resigned their offices. And this, although it was well known from the language of my message that, as an executive officer, I felt myself bound to collect the revenue at the port of Charleston under the existing laws.

With great personal regard, I remain, yours, very respectfully,

JAMES BUCHANAN.

I have always thought, and still do, that Lincolns war on the Confederacy was illegal, simply because he invaded another country. I found some legal arguments which are in pdf form at the end of this article, that reviews Lincoln's legal options for declaring war. This is a long, complicated and boring read. To be honest I jumped to the conclusion for a summary of the article.

As I understand the article, Lincoln had no constitutional right for declaring war, it was a Congressional right which was passed to the president, thereby making it legal.

Lincoln's War Proclamation

HARPER'S WEEKLY.

SATURDAY, APRIL 27, 1861.

By the President of the United States:

A PROCLAMATION.

Whereas, The laws of the United States have been for some time past and now are opposed, and the execution thereof obstructed, in the States of South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas, by combinations too powerful to be suppressed by the ordinary course of judicial proceedings, or by the powers vested in the Marshals by law :

Now, therefore, I, ABRAHAM LINCOLN, President of the United States, in virtue of the power in me vested by the Constitution and the laws, have thought fit to call forth, and hereby do call forth, the Militia of the several States of the Union, to the aggregate number of 75,000, in order to suppress said combinations, and to cause the laws to be duly executed. The details for this object will be immediately communicated to the State authorities through the War Department.

I appeal to all loyal citizens to favor, facilitate, and aid this effort to maintain the honor, the integrity, and the existence of our National Union and the perpetuity of popular government, and to redress wrongs already long enough endured.

I deem it proper to say that the first service assigned to the force hereby called forth will probably be to repossess the forts, places, and property which have been seized from the Union, and, in every event, the utmost care will be observed, consistently with the objects aforesaid, to avoid any devastation, any destruction of, or interference with property, or any disturbance of peaceful citizens in any part of the country; and I hereby command the persons composing the combinations aforesaid to disperse and retire peaceably to their respective abodes within twenty days from this date.

Deeming that the present condition of public affairs presents an extraordinary occasion, I do, hereby, in virtue of the power in me vested by the Constitution, convene both Houses of Congress. The Senators and Representatives are therefore summoned to assemble at their respective chambers at twelve o'clock, noon, on Thursday, the fourth day of July next, then and there to consider and determine such measures as, in their wisdom, the public safety and interest may seem to demand.

In witness whereof, I have hereunto set my hand, and caused the seal of the United States to be affixed.

Done at the City of Washington, this fifteenth day of April, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-one, and of the independence of the United States the eighty-fifth

http://www.yalelawjournal.org/pdf/427_pa9skxwv.pdf

lincoln_declares_war.pdf

[ Edited Mon May 02 2022, 06:50PM ]
gpthelastrebel
Mon May 02 2022, 06:14PM

Registered Member #1
Lincoln's Blockade Proclamation---

War of the Rebellion: Serial 122 Page 0089 UNION AUTHORITIES https://ehistory.osu.edu/books/official-records/122/0089

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA:

A PROCLAMATION.

Whereas an insurrection against the Government of the United States has broken out in the States of South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas, and the laws of the United States for the collection of the revue cannot be effectually executed there conformably to that provision of the Constitution which requires duties to be uniform throughout the United States:

And whereas a combination of present, engaged in such insurrection, have threatened to grant pretended letters of marque to authorize the

War of the Rebellion: Serial 122 Page 0090 CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.

bearers thereof to commit assaults on the lives, vessels, and property of good citizens of the country lawfully engaged in commerce on the high seas ad in waters of the United States;

And whereas an Executive proclamation has been already issued requiring the persons engaged in these disorderly proceedings to desist therefrom, calling out a militia force for the purpose of repressing the same, and convening Congress in extraordinary session to deliberate and determine thereon:

Now, therefore, I, Abraham Lincoln, President of the United States, with a view to the same purposes before mentioned, ad to the protection of the public peace ad the lives ad property of quiet ad orderly citizens pursuing their lawful occupations, u until Congress shall have assembled ad deliberated on the said unlawful proceedings, or until the same shall have ceased, have further deemed it advisable to set on foot a blockade of the ports within the States aforesaid, i pursutates and of the law of nations in such case provided. For this purpose a competent force will be posted so as to prevent entrance ad exit of vessels from the ports aforesaid. If, therefore, with a view to violate such blockade, a vessel shall approach, or shall attempt to leave either of the said ports, she will be duty warned by the commander of one of the blockading vessels, who will indorse on her register the fact and date of such warning, and if the same vessel shall again attempt to enter or leave the blockaded port she will be captured and sent to the nearest convenient port for such proceedings against her and her cargo as prize as may be deemed advisable.

And I hereby proclaim and declare that if any person under the pretended authority of the said States, or under any order pretense, shall molest a vessel of the United States, or the persons or cargo on board of her, such persons will be held amenable to the laws of the United States for the prevention and punishment of piracy.

In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and caused the seal of the United States to be affixed.

Done at the city of Washington this nineteenth day of April, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-one, and of the Independence of the United States the eighty-fifth.

ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

By the President:

WILLIAM H. SEWARD,

Secretary of State.

2nd Blackade Proclamation

War of the Rebellion: Serial 122 Page 0122 CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.

A PROCLAMATION.

Whereas, for the reasons assigned in my proclamation if the 19th instant, a blockade of the ports of the States of South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas was ordered to be established;

And whereas since that date public property of the United States has been seized, the collection of the revenue obstructed, and duly commissioned officers of the United States while engaged in executing the orders of their superiors have been arrested and held in custody as prisoners, or have been impeded in the discharge of their official duties without due legal process by persons claiming to act under authorities of the States of Virginia and North Carolina:

An efficient blockade of the ports of those States will also be established.

It witness whereof I have hereupon set my hand and caused the seal of the United States to be affixed.

Done at the city of Washington this twenty-seventh day of April, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-one, and of the Independence of the United States the eighty-fifth.

ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

[ Edited Mon May 02 2022, 06:32PM ]
gpthelastrebel
Mon May 02 2022, 06:24PM

Registered Member #1
Lincoln's Reason for War

War of the Rebellion: Serial 123 Page 0185 UNION AUTHORITIES.

Whereas, in and by the second section of an act of Congress passed on the seventh day of June, in the year of our Lord eighteen hundred and sixty-two, entitled "An act for the collection of direct taxes in insurrectionary districts within the United States, and for other purposes," it is made the duty of the President to declare, on or before the first day of July then next following, by his proclamation in what States and parts of States insurrection exists:

Now, therefore, be it known that I, Abraham Lincoln, President of the United States of America, do hereby declare and proclaim that the States of South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina, and the State of Virginia - except the following counties: Hancock, Brooke, Ohio, Marshall, Wetzel, Marion, Monongalia, Preston, Taylor, Pleasants, Tyler, Ritchie, Doddridge, Harrison, Wood, Jackson, Wirt, Roane, Calhoun, Gilmer, Barbour, Tucker, Lewis, Braxton, Upshur, Randolph, Mason, Putnam, Kanawha, Clay, Nicholas, Cabell, Wayne, Boone, Logan, Wyoming, Webster, Fayette, and Raleigh - are now in insurrection and rebellion, and by reason thereof the civil authority of the United States is obstructed, so that the provisions of the "Act to provide increased revenue from imports to pay the interest on the public debt, and for other purposes," approved August five, eighteen hundred and sixty-one, cannot be peaceably executed, and that the taxes legally chargeable upon real estate under the act last aforesaid lying within the States and parts of States as aforesaid, together with a penalty of fifty per centrum of said taxes, shall be a lien upon the tracts or lots of the same, severally charged, till paid.

In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and caused the seal of the United States to be affixed.

Done at the city of Washington this first day of July, in the year of our Lord eighteen hundred and sixty-two, and of the Independence of the United States of America the eighty-sixth.

ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

[ Edited Mon May 02 2022, 06:27PM ]
gpthelastrebel
Mon May 02 2022, 06:36PM

Registered Member #1
A Speech By Lincoln

This is a speech by A. Lincoln. I have edited it for length. Source is posted so that you may read the entire speech if you desire.

War of the Rebellion: Serial 122 Page 0311 UNION AUTHORITIES.

FELLOW-CITIZENS OF THE SENATE AND HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
———
At the beginning of the present Presidential term, four months ago, the functions of the Federal Government were found to be generally suspended within the several States of South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Florida, excepting only those of the Post-Office Department.

Page 312
In accordance with this purpose an ordinance had been adopted in each of these States declaring the States, respectively, to be separated from the National Union. A formula for instituting a combined government of these States had been promulgated, and this illegal organization, in the character of Confederate States, was already invoking recognition, aid, and intervention from foreign powers. ————-

It sought only to hold the public places and property not already wrested from the Government and to collect the revenue, relying for the rest on time,

Page 319
Again, if one State may secede, so may another; and when all shall have seceded none is left to pay the debts. Is this quite just to creditors? Did we notify them of this sage view of ours when we borrowed their money? If we now recognize this doctrine by allowing the seceders to go in peace, it is difficult to see what we can do if others choose to go, or to extort terms upon which they will promise to remain.

Page 321

It was with the deepest regret that the Executive found the duty of employing the war power, in defense of the Government, forced upon him. (Yeah right, we have already proven that to be a lie.)

Page 322
ABRAHAM LINCOLN.
JULY 4, 1861.

So we see Lincoln wanted to preserve the Union for the purpose of collecting revenue.

[ Edited Mon May 02 2022, 06:47PM ]
gpthelastrebel
Mon May 02 2022, 06:49PM

Registered Member #1
Andrew Johnson's Proclamations

At this time, this is my last post on money as the reason Lincoln wanted to "preserve the Union." The reason being I want to address the issue of Negro Confederates one more time. I may come back to this topic later as I find new information.

As the war progressed from the time of Fort Sumter to surrender it was a goal of the Union authorities to collect revenue from the South. That fact is evident in the ORs by simply researching and noting all the taxes and duties imposed on the people of the South by the US Army, it is also a fact that the US Congress passed taxes on the South AFTER the firing at Fort Sumter. It is also evident that many millions of dollars of goods were plundered from the people of the South. Exactly how much I can't say, I am not investing the time and effort to try and figure out a round figure.

On a slightly different note I did find a letter stating how much the Confederate paid the United States for clothing the Confederate POWs. Something else to squeeze a penny out of the South.

War of the Rebellion: Serial 121 Page 0313 CORRESPONDENCE, ETC. - UNION AND CONFEDERATE.

75 MURRAY STREET, New York, February 27, 1865.

Statement of 828 bales of cotton received January 28, 1865, per steamer Atlanta. Sold, February 8, 1865, by Burdett

Page 314

The sale was made at the auction rooms corner of Wall and Front streets.

Gross amount of sales .................................$348,622.34

Gross amount of expenses............................... 16,832.68

------------

Net proceeds........................................... 331,789.66

At the dispoal of Brigadier General W. N. R. Beall, Provisional Army, C. S., to purchase clothing to be distributed to prisoners of war held by the United States.

I would state that of the $16,832.68 are held under order of the agent of internal revenue to be paid over to the United States Government, the tax being 2 cents per pound on the cotton. As the cotton was received by the United States in a Southern port, transported by a U. S. vessel, and under charge of a U. S. officer, to me at this place in accordance with the late arrangement between General Grant and Colonel Ould, and no import duty having been charged upon supplies sent South, I respectfully ask that the said cotton be not taxed the usual internal revenue tax of 2 cents per pound, and that an order be issued to the agent of internal revenue to this effect. I would further state that the transport Atlanta, which received the 1,000 bales of cotton in Mobile Bay, proved insufficient in capacity to transport it, and the U. S. officer, Captain Frank G. Noyes, on January 16 reshipped on another vessel 170 bales of the cotton, and that nothing has been heard from this cotton to the present time.

I am, respectfully, your obedient servant,

WM. N. R. BEALL,

Brigadier-General, Provisional Army, C. S.,

The South was devastated and robbed blind by the Yankee invaders, the U. S. government was still not satisfied with their financial gains. One of the first tings Johnson did was set up a system for the collection of revenue in the South. This just serves to prove that revenue before, during and after the war was one of the highest priorities of "preserving the Union!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

War of the Rebellion: Serial 126 Page 0013 UNION AUTHORITIES.

EXECUTIVE CHAMBER,

Washington City, May 9, 1865.

Ordered:

1. That all acts and proceedings of the political, military, and civil organizations which have been in a state of insurrection and rebellion

Page 14

3. That the Secretary of the Treasury proceed without delay to nominate for appointment assessors of taxes and collectors of customs and internal revenue, and such other officers of the Treasury Department as are authorized by law, and shall put in execution the revenue laws of the United States within the geographical limits aforesaid.

Page 15

In testimony whereof I have hereunto set any hand and caused the seal of the United States to be affixed.

[L. S.] ANDREW JOHNSON.

By the President:

W. HUNTER,

Acting Secretary of State.

War of the Rebellion: Serial 126 Page 0037 UNION AUTHORITIES.

A PROCLAMATION.

Whereas, the fourth section of the fourth article of the Constitution of the United States declares that the United States shall guarantee

Page 38

And I do hereby direct--

Page 39

Third. That the Secretary of the Treasury proceed to nominate for appointment assessors of taxes, and collectors of customs and internal revenue, and such other officers of the Treasury Department as are authorized by law, and put in execution the revenue laws of the United States within the geographical limits aforesaid.

L. S.] ANDREW JOHNSON.

By the President:

WILLIAM H. SEWARD,

Secretary of State.

(Same, mutatis mutandis, issued for the State of Mississippi, June 13, 1865; for the States of Georgia and Texas (separate proclamations) June 17, 1865; for the State of Alabama, June 21, 1865; for the State of South Carolina, June 30, 1865, and for the State of Florida, July 13, 1865.

William L. Sharkey was appointed Provisional Governor of Mississippi, James Johnson for Georgia, Andrew J. Hamilton for Texas, Lewis E. Parsons for Alabama, Benjamin F. Perry for South Carolina, and William Marvin for Florida.)
gpthelastrebel
Sat Apr 15 2023, 04:22PM

Registered Member #1
Here is more on Lincoln and his war to collect revenue. This just came to me in an email from mt good friend Jeff Paulk ----

Lincoln On Tariffs

Gentlemen,
As for sources for President Lincoln's thoughts on collecting tariff revenues, there are two sources from the time (April 1861) that address the issue:

From the Baltimore Exchange, 23d ult. (i.e. April 23, 1861)

Interview between Messengers of Peace and Mr. Lincoln
The Baltimore Sun has the following in relation to the interview between the President and a committee of the "Young Men’s Christian Association of Baltimore," it says:
We learn that a delegation from five of the Young Men's Christian Associations of Baltimore, consisting of six members of each, yesterday proceeded to Washington for an interview with the President, the purpose being to intercede with him in behalf a peaceful policy, and to entreat him not to pass troops through Baltimore or Maryland. The Rev. Dr. Fuller, of the Baptist church, accompanied the party, by invitation, as chairman, and the conversation was conducted mainly between him and Mr. Lincoln, and was not heard entire by all the members of the Convention.
Our informant, however, vouches for what we now write. He states that upon the introduction, they were received very cordially by Mr. Lincoln—a sort of rude familiarity of manner – and the conversation opened by Dr. Fuller seeking to impress upon Mr. Lincoln the vast responsibility of the position he occupied, and that upon him depended the issues, of peace or war—on one hand a terrible, fratricidal conflict, and on the other peace. “But” said Mr. Lincoln, what am I to do?”

“Why, sir, let the country know that you are disposed to recognize the independence of the Southern States. I say nothing of secession; recognize the fact that they have formed a Government of their own; that they will never be united again with the North, and peace will instantly take the place of anxiety and suspense, and war may he averted.” “AND WHAT SHALL BECOME OF THE REVENUE? I SHALL HAVE NO GOVERNMENT—NO RESOURCES?” (Emphasis added, not in the original)

Dr. Fuller expressed the opinion that the Northern States would constitute an imposing government and furnish revenue, but our informant could not follow the exact terms of the remark.

(Reprinted in the Memphis Daily Avalanche May 8th 1861, pg.1, col. 4.)

Second episode:
At an interview between Virginia Convention Delegate John B. Baldwin and President Lincoln on April 4th, 1861, Baldwin suggested to Lincoln that “in order to prevent the possibility of any collision or clash of arms interfering with this effort at a pacific settlement, I would declare the purpose (not in any admission of want of right at all, but with a distinct protest of the right, to place the forces of the United States wherever in her territory you choose) to withdraw the forces from Sumter and Pickens, declaring that it was done for the sake of peace, in the effort to settle this thing; … He said something about the withdrawal of the troops from Sumter on the ground of military necessity. Said I, "that will never do under heaven. You have been President a month to-day, and if you intended to hold that position you ought to have strengthened it, so as to make it impregnable. To hold it in the present condition of force there is an invitation to assault. Go upon higher ground than that. The better ground than that is to make a concession of an asserted right in the interest of peace."-"Well," said he, "WHAT ABOUT THE REVENUE? WHAT WOULD I DO ABOUT THE COLLECTION OF DUTIES?" (Emphasis added, not in the original)

Said I, "Sir, how much do you expect to collect in a year?" Said he, "Fifty or sixty millions." "Why sir," said I, "four times sixty is two hundred and forty. Say $250,000,000 would be the revenue of your term of the presidency; what is that but a drop in the bucket compared with the cost of such a war as we are threatened with? Let it all go, if necessary; but I do not believe that it will be necessary, because I believe that you can settle it on the basis I suggest." He said something or other about feeding the troops at Sumter. I told him that would not do. Said I, "You know perfectly well that the people of Charleston have been feeding them already. That is not what they are at. They are asserting a right. They will feed the troops and fight them while they are feeding them. They are after the assertion of a right. Now, the only way that you can manage them is to withdraw from them the means of making a blow until time for reflection, time for influence which can be brought to bear, can be gained, and settle the matter. If you do not take this course, if there is a gun fired at Sumter-I do not care on which side it is fired-the thing is gone." "Oh," said he, "sir, that is impossible." Said I, "Sir, if there is a gun fired at Sumter, as sure as there is a God in heaven the thing is gone. Virginia herself, strong as the Union majority is now, will be out in forty-eight hours."

(From testimony before the Reconstruction Committee of the US Congress by Mr. Baldwin in 1866,
http://valley.vcdh.virginia.edu/personalpapers/documents/augusta/p3baldwininterview.html#baldwin)

Note the commonality between the two distinct episodes. In both cases, in separate conversations in the month of April 1861, when others suggested the withdrawal of the Federal forces from Sumter, Abraham Lincoln expressed concern, first and foremost, that in the event of such a withdrawal, the revenue could not be collected. Sounds like collection of tariff revenues was pretty near the top of the list of Lincoln's concerns.

Respectfully,
Jon White

[ Edited Sat Apr 15 2023, 04:26PM ]

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF