Click To Show - Guests: 11

Last Seen

gpthelastrebel Wed 15:26
Patrick Fri 16:05
Robray Wed 14:28
D. L. Garland Wed 18:09
dong fang Mon 01:55
Forums
Southern Heritage Advancement Preservation and Education :: Forums :: General :: General Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
The Need for a Southern Heritage Fire Department
Moderators: gpthelastrebel, Patrick
Author Post
Lady Val
Fri Sep 30 2011, 02:41PM
Registered Member #75
How many times have we seen movies about the old West in which a fire is being fought by folks carrying water to the conflagration in everything from drinking cups to water buckets? And we all know that the result of such efforts was blackened remains and a lot of tired, dirty, frustrated people. Indeed, it wasn’t until we had the ability to bring large quantities of water to the scene of the fire that there was any hope that lives would be saved and property spared the flames.

Today there are continual outbreaks—large and small—of heritage firestorms and, like our ancestors, those of us trying to douse the flames of cultural genocide are running to and fro attempting to pour a little water on endless verbal, print and internet infernos with, of course, little or no success. Once in a while we put out a few flames of falsehood, but more often than not, the victory goes to the establishment arsonists. Yet, despite our poor record of success, we continue to fight on in ways that have proven inefficient at best and ruinous at worst. Clearly, another strategy is required before the cultural conflagration reaches a point at which Southern heritage is consumed completely.

Having given the matter some considerable thought, I decided to look at the means of communication—their strengths and weaknesses—to determine which one constituted the biggest return on our investment of time, effort and money. All had their strengths and all had their weaknesses as illustrated below:

1. E-mail pro: e-mail has the power of ease and ubiquity. It can be created fairly easily and sent in a relatively short period of time to a number of contact points. This is not only useful for a single incident but it essential when there are multiple issues occurring in diverse places.

E-mail con: e-mails are easily diverted into spam folders rendering them useless. Once an individual’s name becomes known, the usefulness of that individual’s e-mail—aside from contacting and informing allies—is pretty much over. E-mails need to be succinct. Lengthy e-mails soon lose the interest of the reader and their value is lost. E-mails require accurate contact information. Notifications of “delivery failure” are annoying in the extreme.

2. Letters pro: “snail mail” is always a good way to deal with establishment entities such as government, corporations, agencies and organizations. They permit a more detailed rendering of one’s viewpoint including quotes and source material and have the benefit of being culturally acceptable. Often letter writers are cut more slack than the senders of e-mails.

Letters con: letters are useless when dealing with internet issues. Even where they are appropriate, they are time consuming and require the effort and cost of creating, printing and mailing as many as are required. If one is in the middle of three or four heritage assaults, that can be a daunting task so many folks limit themselves to one problem or simply walk away. Sadly, two of the least available resources in the heritage struggle are patience and perseverance.

3. Petitions: petitions are easy to do in today’s internet world. Sadly, however, their usefulness is limited not the least because they are “easy to do.” If the cause for which you are petitioning is unpopular, the recipient(s) of the petition are liable to count the number of petitions rather than the number of signatories on each petition. This is what happened in Lexington in which there were two petitions given equal importance though one had less than 350 signature and the other hand almost 2,000! Because as noted, it is easy to create and forward a petition (as opposed to the old days when you had to go door to door), much of the value of this particular method has been lost as a means of influencing policy and action.

4. Telephone calls: phone calls are always a good thing simply because a voice on the phone is harder to ignore than a piece of paper or an e-mail. On the other hand, most government and corporate agencies have “gatekeepers” hired to take phone calls, listen to complaints and say something soothing—“…there, there!”—and then hang up. Whether intended recipient is ever informed is questionable and, even so, whether your call had any influence is even more questionable. Furthermore, making phone calls can be far more inconvenient than sending letters and e-mails. If it is a hot topic, one’s chance of getting through are small to none—unless one is lucky. And in fact, most of us don’t have the time to spend trying to get through to someone only to find out that he’s out to lunch or gone home!

5. The Facsimile Transmission (FAX) pro: of all the means of communication available, the FAX is the most useful. Like the e-mail it is a rapid means of communication. However, unlike an e-mail, the FAX is a physical sheet of paper which cannot just be e-filed in some spam folder. And like the letter, it can be read by the person to whom it is addressed as well as by others who may have an interest in the matter under discussion. Frankly, it is very hard to present a credible argument that a FAX has been “lost.” Finally, a thousand e-mails may be re-routed or crash an inbox and a thousand letters will probably not be written much less sent—but a thousand FAXes will come through a FAX machine as long as there is paper and ink available to print them out.

The FAX con: the lack of universal FAX capability is the greatest limitation to this excellent method of communication. Very few individuals have FAX capability and even if it is part of their computer system, not everyone knows how to use it. If this limitation could be overcome, then certainly Facsimile Transmission (FAX) has the biggest bang for the heritage buck available.

Having considered the above and determined that the FAX is probably the most useful tool in communicating about heritage matters, I remembered that I have received offers from various faxing sites to send FAXes (especially to Congress) on many different issues. Usually there is a (nominal) fee involved. Given that the site includes everything necessary to send the FAX including recipient information, a prepared text on the subject offered for the convenience of the user and the electronic deliverance of the message, the charge is more than acceptable. Sadly, I have not seen any such site address our issues, a matter which I find most unfortunate. Therefore, the best way to proceed would be to create such a site for our use. As I looked around for one that might serve at least as an example for us if we were to go forward and create such a thing, I found NumbersUSA which is involved with immigration issues. The site’s simplicity and low cost makes it perfect as a blueprint for a Southern Heritage FAX site. I recommend that everyone go to the site and see what is being offered there and consider the consequences of such a site with our issues being offered for comment. [https://www.numbersusa.com/content/account/fax-center-register.html]

I firmly believe that the Southern heritage movement—from the SCV and the UDC to the League of the South and the myriad other individuals and groups—should form a means of disseminating FAXes to any and every site, group, business, agency and government involved in an assault upon Southern culture or, in the alternative, who have openly supported same. Such an instrument would strengthen our hand by permitting us to respond quickly whenever and wherever a response is required and in a way that I believe to be far superior to the other ways listed above. I don’t know how NumbersUSA was (is) set up or what it costs to set up and maintain but the fact that it can be supported by donations rather than fees seems to indicate reasonable maintenance. Surely someone familiar with such technologies can find out what is needful and if we all work together, I cannot imagine failure. I also cannot imagine a better way of ending our impotence in addressing cultural brushfires (individual cups and buckets) than by setting up a real “heritage fire department” which enables us to bring a lot more of the water of facts and truth to the flames of mendacity and iniquity.
gpthelastrebel
Fri Sep 30 2011, 03:15PM

Registered Member #1
I have no idea about fax. Granted the part on the receiving end must also have fax. I think you and I are talking about a different group of people but here goes.

I know that a lot of people had rather see an argument absent of all fact rather than see a good factual response. I am not sure if this is because of the fact their minds are already made up or if it is just to see some bloodletting, either way when the standards of a forum are loosened readership and posting go up. Reminds me of a fellow I invited here to exchange facts in a well organized forum, he told me if he "was not allowed to use proper insults in a proper fashion he was simply not interested."

Another problem with some of these internet forums or blogs is the fact that if a person disagrees with a factual response, they simply do not let the response be posted. A prime example can be found at --- http://www.tolerance.org/magazine/number-40-fall-2011/getting-civil-war-right

I pointed out how the author’s facts were cherry picked to support his argument and that slavery had little or nothing to do with the war itself. I offered to prove that fact either on this forum or the SPLC forum. Needless to say my post does not show up.

On this forum I welcome civil exchanges regardless if one disagrees with me or not. I tend to let the facts speak for themselves. Recently on another blog I was accused of playing unfair because I was using primary documents as my source. Imagine that!!!!

Now about the SCV and UDC. I never see these groups involved individuals yes, but as a group no. As a matter of fact I see very few people I recognize their names as being involved in heritage issues. I am all for putting SHAPE front and center, in the line of fire if you will, I am just not sure how to go about getting the job done.

George Purvis

[ Edited Fri Sep 30 2011, 03:15PM ]
Lady Val
Fri Sep 30 2011, 06:36PM
Registered Member #75
Of course, blogs and other such internet sites are not amenable to FAX responses. However, government agencies are. So are companies like Wal-Mart and others who have given grief to employees over the battle flag and such. Newspapers too - the print press at least - receive FAXes. Certainly government itself is.

Neither am I speaking about people sending FAXes as representatives of an umbrella organization like the SCV. I merely point out that such heritage organizations could help create a site like NumbersUSA which would offer to folks on the ground like us the opportunity to use FAXes in the fight - when appropriate, obviously. Right now we have no such umbrella organization and so if we want to "FAX" we have to do it individually. That is the only point I'm making.

There is no "one size fits all" in this battle, but the fact that FAX capability is denied to most of us because we don't have it personally is a shame. As well, if you read some of the FAXes NumbersUSA has prepared for those who wish to address immigration issues, I think that you'll find less articulate folks who want to opine on those issues will get the help that they need to make their point. I daresay, such would be useful for the heritage battle as well. How often have you seen people who bemoan the fact that they don't have the facts or the ability to make their point in an argument, something that such a site might help correct.
gpthelastrebel
Sat Oct 01 2011, 02:34PM

Registered Member #1
What would be involved in setting up a system like this??? Cost???

We have tons of facts here, which is the reason for this website.

GP
Lady Val
Tue Oct 04 2011, 06:29PM
Registered Member #75
As to that, I cannot say. It would require someone familiar with the technology. I used NumbersUSA because it is an interesting site that offers what is needed for those involved in immigration matters. I had hoped that someone who knew something about setting up such a site might use it as a template for a heritage site - but that is definitely NOT me! My idea of "hi-tech" is the doorknob!
gpthelastrebel
Wed Oct 05 2011, 12:15AM

Registered Member #1
I'll check around maybe someone can give me some ideas. We would need people to be involved for sure.

GP
gpthelastrebel
Sat Oct 08 2011, 03:23PM

Registered Member #1
Val,

Working on this. When I get some solid answers I'll send you an email.

Are you interested in being the person who sends the faxes or are you thinking several people from around the country?

GP

[ Edited Sat Oct 08 2011, 03:23PM ]
gpthelastrebel
Sun Oct 16 2011, 12:52AM

Registered Member #1
Val,

According to AT&T this is a doable project. I am waiting for them to get back to me in a week or so on costs and such. Are you willing to take charge of this project or at least write the letters?

GP

[ Edited Sun Oct 16 2011, 12:53AM ]

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF