Click To Show - Guests: 2

Last Seen

gpthelastrebel Thu 18:01
Patrick Fri 16:05
Robray Wed 14:28
D. L. Garland Wed 18:09
dong fang Mon 01:55
Forums
Southern Heritage Advancement Preservation and Education :: Forums :: General :: General Discussion

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Confederate History Month 2009 -- Walter Reed Hospital
Moderators: gpthelastrebel, Patrick
Author Post
gpthelastrebel
Mon Apr 20 2009, 04:09PM

Registered Member #1
In a follow up to the research on Walter Reed I thought I would post this small bit of history about Walter Reed hospital. Also some time back SHAPE sent flowers to Luke Shirley, son of Jimmy Shirley who has contributed articles to SHAPE. Jimmy is Luke was a patient at Walter Reed Hospital due to some severe wounds he suffered in Iraq.

The Southern heroes seem to never stop coming.

GP

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/hmd/medtour/wreed.html

Walter Reed
Army Medical Center
6900 Georgia Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20307
http://www.wramc.amedd.army.mil

A Walter Reed Hospital postcard, ca. 1930s

By Congressional legislation, construction of the Walter Reed General Hospital was authorized, and the Hospital admitted its first patients on May 1, 1909. Named in Major Walter Reed's honor, the medical center was founded on principles that would integrate patient care, teaching and research. World War I saw the hospital's capacity grow from 80 patient beds to 2,500 in a matter of months. Through World War II, Korea and Vietnam Wars, hundreds of thousands of soldiers were treated here. On September 26, 1977, the new main hospital building was dedicated by Major General Robert Bernstein, then Walter Reed's commander. The new hospital itself stands 125 feet tall, equal in height to a ten story building.

Through the years, the Walter Reed Medical Center has added tenant institutions and facilities to its roster: Walter Reed Institute of Research, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Army Physical Disability Agency, along with several smaller units. While many organizational changes have been made in recent years, there has been no interruption of the close relationship among all of these functions. Today, the Walter Reed Army Medical Center continues to serve the military community from the Washington, D.C. area, and around the world, admitting 16,000 patients a year.

The Visitor's Center is located in the lobby of the old Walter Reed Hospital Building. For information on Dr. Walter Reed and the history of the Hospital, visit the Web site of the Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

[ Edited Mon Apr 20 2009, 04:12PM ]
Lady Val
Mon Apr 20 2009, 04:35PM
Registered Member #75
Yes. It is only sad that they are not serving a more noble nation. I am reminded of the old saw, "throwing good money after bad". We are throwing heroes into the actions waged by a worthless and unworthy government.
gpthelastrebel
Mon Apr 20 2009, 06:29PM

Registered Member #1
----and it is only gonna get worse.

GP

[ Edited Mon Apr 20 2009, 06:30PM ]

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF