D. L. Garland Wed 18:09
dong fang Mon 01:55
Forums
Moderators: gpthelastrebel, 8milereb, Patrick
Author Post
gpthelastrebel
Sat Sep 24 2011, 12:08AM

Registered Member #1
Those who argue this was just a rebellion haven't read this Washington, D. C., February 18, 1865.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OFFICIAL RECORDS: Series 2, vol 6, Part 1 (Prisoners of War) Page 692

OFFICE COMMISSARY-GENERAL OF PRISONERS,

Washington, D. C., November 9, 1863.

Surg. GEORGE SUCKLEY,

Acting Medical Director, Baltimore, Md.:

SIR: I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 6th instant, asking attention to the fact that there are a number of medical officers held as prisoners of war at Fort Delaware and other places, and inquiring if steps cannot be taken to stop the practice of treating surgeons as prisoners of war. By the usages of war medical officers are considered non-combatants, and are not made prisoners of war, but by the course pursued by the rebel authorities the War Department has been obliged to follow the precedent set at Richmond, and to hold in possession all such officers who fall into our hands. You need not doubt, however, that the more humane practice under the usage of war will be returned to at the earliest moment when it can be done without sacrificing the rights and interests of our medical officers. From recent occurrences I am under the impression this desired change will not be delayed much longer.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

W. HOFFMAN,

Colonel Third Infantry and Commissary-General of Prisoners

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OFFICIAL RECORDS: Series 2, vol 6, Part 1 (Prisoners of War) 627

Washington, D. C., December 2, 1863.

Major CHARGE O. JOLINE, Aide-de-Camp, New York:

MAJOR: In reply to your note of the 28th ultimo, inquiring how a prisoners formerly in the rebel service may reinstate himself as a loyal citizen, I have to inform you, for the information of Major-General Dix, that all such cases are treated as prisoners of war, and a discharge on taking the oath of allegiance can be granted only by the Secretary of War, but such discharges are now granted only on very rare occasions. Instructions have been given to commanders in charge of prisoners to report to this office the names of all who desire to take the oath of allegiance, giving a brief statement of the particulars in each case. All so reported will not be sent forward for exchange, but at a future day, when the Secretary of War thinks it advisable, such applications will be finally acted on, and all whose cases are favorably presented will be discharged.

W. HOFFMAN,

Colonel Third Infantry and Commissary-General of Prisoners.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OFFICIAL RECORDS: Series 2, vol 6, Part 1 (Prisoners of War) PaGE 628

Washington, D. C., December 2, 1863

Brigadier General A. SCHOEPF, Commanding Fort Delaware, Del.:

GENERAL: The Secretary of War has directed that hereafter prisoners of war will be permitted to receive such articles of clothing as they are allowed to have only issues from the quartermaster's department as provided for by the circular of regulations, or from members of their immediate family. Friends and sympathizers are not to be permitted to send in clothing for distribution, and under no circumstances will prisoners be allowed more than the prescribed amount.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OFFICIAL RECORDS: Series 2, vol 8, Part 1 (Prisoners of War) Page 255 - 260

The PRESIDENT OF THE SENATE:

SIR: I have the honor to inform the Senate, in reply to its resolution of the 14th instant, that the judges of the circuit and district courts of the United States and of the District of Columbia have been furnished by the Judge-Advocate-General, by my direction, with a list of the names of the persons held as 'state or political prisoners or otherwise than as prisoners of war," in compliance with the second section of the act entitled "An act relating to habeas corpus and regulating judicial proceedings in certain cases," approved March 3, 1863.

Shortly after the passage of said act, viz, on the 23rd of March, 1863, Colonel Holt, Judge-Advocate-General, the chief law officer of the Department, was, by an order of that date, charged with the execution of the provisions of that act in the following instructions:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WAR DEPARTMENT, Washington City, March 23, 1863.

Honorable J. HOLT, Judge-Advocate-General:

COLONEL: I beg you to direct your attention to the provisions of the late act of Congress requiring prisoners held under military authority to be released within a certain time, and to ask that proceedings may be taken against such as are not proper to be released, and that you will see that the provisions of that law are observed in regard to all persons held in military custody.

EDWIN M. STANTON,

Secretary of War.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HEADQUARTERS ARMIES OF THE UNITED STATES,
City Point, Va., February 18, 1865.

Major General H. W. HALLECK,

Chief of Staff of the Army, Washington, D. C.:

GENERAL: Your communication of the 15th instant, with inclosure, calling my attention to the fact that advantage is being taken by General Beall, Confederate agent, of the recent agreement between Judge Ould and myself to supply rebel prisoners with new uniforms and blankets, is received.

The arrangement for the relief of prisoners of war was made at a time when exchanges could not be made, and under it I see no way to prevent rebel prisoners from being clothed. Having, however, a very large excess of prisoners over the enemy, we can in making exchanges select those who have not been furnished with new clothing or blankets. By this means but a very limited number of rebel soldiers will be returned with new uniforms.

Should it become necessary prisoners for exchange can be required to turn their blankets over to their comrades who remain.

Please give orders to General Hoffman accordingly.

U. S. GRANT,

Lieutenant-General.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Washington, D. C., February 18, 1865.

Lieutenant-General GRANT,

Commanding U. S. Army, City Point:

The only prisoner in irons at Johnson's Island is a citizen prisoner, Thomas F. Berry, who was so confined last night for killing a prisoner of war, Lieutenant H. Morgan. Shall Berry be tried by commission or sent for
war
d for exchange?

W. HOFFMAN,

Commissary-General of Prisoners.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CITY POINT, VA., February 18, 1865-6 p. m.

Brigadier General W. HOFFMAN, Commissary-General of Prisoners:

Thomas F. Berry, now in confinement at Johnson's Island for the murder of Morgan, a prisoner of war, may be tried where he is.

U. S. GRANT,

Lieutenant-General.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WASHINGTON, D. C., February 18, 1865.

Brigadier General J. BARNES,

Commanding District of Saint Mary's, Point Lookout, Md.:

GENERAL: The prisoners of war who are to be forwarded for exchange from the West will be ordered to Point Lookout, but if transportation can be furnished at Baltimore some of them will probably be sent direct to City Point. Those who are landed at Point Lookout will not be taken upon your rolls, but will be held in readiness to be forwarded whenever called for by Colonel Mulford. A memorandum of all such arrivals and departures should be kept so that a full account of them can be given in figures. The guards which accompany them will return immediately to their posts from Point Lookout.

Prisoners who have been in close confinement or in irons have also been ordered to Point Lookout, to be forwarded for special exchange for the same class of prisoners. There will probably not be many. Keep them together and forward them by the first opportunity.

I am, general, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

W. HOFFMAN,

Bvt. Brigadier General, U. S. Army, Commissary-General of Prisoners

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HDQRS. U. S. FORCES, JOHNSON'S ISLAND AND SANDUSKY,
Johnson's Island, Ohio, February 18, 1865.

Bvt. Brigadier General WILLIAM HOFFMAN:

GENERAL: I have the honor to call your attention to a subject intimately connected with the matter of exchange, and respectfully ask to be informed what, if any, assurance can be given to those prisoners of war who desire to take the oath of amnesty rather than to be exchanged. They naturally desire definite information as to their prospect of release if they accept the first named course. this I am unable at present to give, and I respectfully ask whether the refusal to be exchanged in cases where the corroborative evidence is satisfactory will be considered as a proof of a sincere desire to become a loyal citizen and insure to the applicant the benefit of the amnesty proclaimed by His Excellency the President.

I am, general, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

CHAS. W. HILL,

Colonel, Commanding.

[ Edited Sat Sep 24 2011, 12:48AM ]

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF