Click To Show - Guests: 5

Last Seen

gpthelastrebel Wed 01:44
Patrick Fri 16:05
Robray Wed 14:28
D. L. Garland Wed 18:09
dong fang Mon 01:55
Forums
Southern Heritage Advancement Preservation and Education :: Forums :: Military Units :: The 3rd Mississippi Infantry Regt.

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
History of SCV Camp 2263 "Shieldsboro Rifles"
Begin New Thread
Moderators:
Author Post
gpthelastrebel
Sat Jan 28 2023, 09:03PM Quote

Registered Member #1
From Commander Don Green

On Sunday, October 30, 2022 at 02:26:57 PM CDT, DON GREEN

The Shieldsboro Rifles Camp 2263 was formed in August 2015 and chartered in October 2015. The purpose of the Shieldsboro Rifles Camp is to honor, defend and perpetuate the Confederate Soldier, those Confederate Soldiers who served Hancock County. MS., and those soldiers who served in the 3rd Mississippi Infantry from 1861-65. The Shieldsboro Rifles represent the 3rd Mississippi Infantry at reenactments, living histories, and historic sites like Beauvoir. The Camp also cleans and maintains cemeteries with Confederate Veterans buried in them, places flags at Confererate Graves in April, and assists other organizations that may need help with restoration, documentation and other similar items. The Camp takes its name from Co. F, The Shieldsboro Rifles of the 3rd Mississippi Infantry. Formed on August 1, 1861 at Shieldsboro, MS. under the command of Captain Deason (Later Col. Deason), the Regiment served as Coastal Defense for Mississippi until its capture on April 3, 1862. The 3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment was reformed in May 1862 at Camp Moore in Tangipahoa, LA. It was sent to defend Vicksburg and fought at Champion Hill on May 16, 1863. The regiment served around Jackson, MS. until it was sent to Georgia in the Spring of 1864. It saw action at Resaca, New Hope Church, Kennesaw Mountain, and Peachtree Creek. It fought in the defense of Atlanta & served in the trenches until September 1864. In October 1864, the Regiment was sent back into Alabama participating in the Decatur Skirmish, seeing action in Tennessee at Spring Hill and heavy fighting at Franklin on November 30. In February 1865, they were sent to Kingston & Bentonville in North Carolina. As the tide turned against the South in April, the Regiment surrendered on April 26, 1865 at Durham Station, NC. The Shieldsboro Rifles Camp #2263 meets the last Tuesday of each month at the Mercy House at Lakeshore Baptist Church

I requested more info from Commander Green and here is his reply--

On Sunday, November 6, 2022 at 05:19:04 PM CST, DON GREEN

I have the charter that we all signed as charter members of the camp in 2015. There are only 6 of 18 of us still in the camp currently. 3 have passed away. I was the Brigade Commander and had a plan to start a camp in all 17 counties in our 5th Brigade. I initiated an initial meeting with notices placed in the Sea Coast Echo and the initial meeting occurred in May of 2015. I was elected Camp Commander that day and have remained it since then.  I’m attaching a pic of the charter and me in uniform.

Don

The SCV Charter

Charter Members

Commander Don Green

[ Edited Sat Jan 28 2023, 09:12PM ]

Quick Reply:

Begin New Thread

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF